Re: Auto vs 5-spd...who said???

From: cvidos@io.com
Date: Wed Oct 15 1997 - 12:19:01 EDT

Adding fuel to the fire:
Car & Driver, p. 191, Nov 1997
"Chevrolet Corvette Automatic"

"But when it comes to acceleration, the automatic can't match the
manual."

"...launching us to 60 MPH in 5.3 seconds and through the
quarter-mile in 13.8 seconds. The best manual Corvette we tested
could beat both those times by half a second."

"An automatic Corvette can be raced for a while, but if internal
temperatures get too high and the driver ignores the pleas on the
instrument panel, the transmission will enact a low-performance shift
strategy to protect itself."

And, finally, "But in this car, we still prefer to row the gears
ourselves, thanks."

----

In the same issue, there was an article on the Ferrari F355 paddle shifters. Nice, but guess what? They're STILL manuals, not automatics. They don't use a clutch, but they also don't use hydraulic fluid stuff like the autos. In the truest sense, I'd guess you call them semi-automatics.

----

Carl (a Dak without a stick is like foreplay without....um...nevermind) Vidos