Re: 14" Mr. Gasket "Daytona" air cleaner?

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Wed Oct 15 1997 - 17:38:32 EDT

rich_gambino@vnet.IBM.COM wrote:

> >Date: Tue, 14 Oct 97 17:47:10 EDT
> >From: Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu>
> >Subject: DML: 14" Mr. Gasket "Daytona" air cleaner?
> >

> > Does the tube *have* to go to the air cleaner? Couldn't
> >it just be tied to something in the engine and left loose? Or,
> >I've heard of people installing a T in the line from the valve
> >cover to the air cleaner, with a tube coming off the T. Hopefully,
> >most of the oil would go out the bottom of the T instead of into
> >the air cleaner. Any thoughts on this?
> >
> > Thanks very much in advance!
> >

> > -Jon-
>
> Jon,
>
> Our '96's have only one hose to the stock air box, which goes to
> the breather element (that black filter housing plugged into the
> left valve cover). The PCV hose from the PCV valve goes to the
> manifold. The way I thought it worked was that air is taken from
> the breather hose (hence the filter in the black housing),
> circulated throughout the crankcase, passes through the PCV valve
> (maybe as a check valve?), then gets put into the manifold to be
> burned during combustion.
>
> I could check my FSM whether the above is true, but if so you could
> unplug the hose at the breather housing without hurting anything.
> I could be wrong, but I don't see where oil would be coming out
> that hose.
>
> Rich
> '96 V8 4X4 CC auto
> MP cat-back; K&N drop-in

I don't know about anyone else but my breather hose has a small amount
of vacum on it. Disconnect the hose and plug it with your finger while
the engine is running and you will feel it. Also how would oil get past
the filter that is plugged into the valve cover, it looks pretty dense,
and still be able to overcome the vacum and drip out onto the throttle
body? I have the FIPK and the hose atatches at the base near the
throtle bores. I have never had ANY oil come from this hose, even the
inside of the hose is dry....

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com
     '93 MarkIII 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto