rev-limiter; what's the big deal?

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Fri Oct 17 1997 - 01:42:04 EDT

This is something that I have wondered about for some time, maybe
someone can explain it to me. Why are you guys so concerned with
raising the rev limiter. I just don't see what the benifit is. I can
see maybe if you have a cam that shifts the power band up some, but for
the most part our magnums start to loose power over 5000rpm right?
Wouldn't it be better to hold the rpms at the peak hp speed? I know
that on my dyno graph the hp peaks at around 4850 or 4900 so if you keep
raising the rpm after that you are making less and less power. And also
I don't really like pushing mine over 5000 anyway, and if something was
to break it be nice to know you were not going to blow the engine.

Anyway that's the way I see it, but I could be way off, that's why I'm
asking.....

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com
     '93 MarkIII 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto