Re: rev-limiter; what's the big deal?

From: Klaus Wilkens (klaus@buffnet.net)
Date: Sun Oct 19 1997 - 09:57:44 EDT

Craig Baltzer wrote:

> The "how many revs are enough" I think really depends on what you are
> trying to accomplish:
>
> 1) For max acceleration, you want to be able to "maximize the area
> under
> the power curve" when shifting. That is, you don't want to have
> redline
> at peak power, as every time you shift you'll be falling out of the
> power band. I haven't looked at the power curve of the stock motor to
> see what it looks like, but I think with my 5spd that each gear is
> around 1000rpm so you'd want to "maximize" the power under that
> 1000rpm
> segment of the curve.

You're absolutely correct about the area under the curve. To calculate
the optimum shift point for your vehicle you must know the transmission
gear ratios and have a reliable torque curve for your engine. Keep in
mind that torque produces acceleration and that the transmission gear
ratios affect torque and do NOT affect HP. You want to shift when the
torque at the tranny output on the downside of the torque curve is equal
to the torque at the tranny output in the next higher gear on the upside
of the curve.

KW