Re: 318 oil leak (was:Technical Questions)

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 1997 - 17:43:33 EDT

*snip*
> naturally, the dealer denied all responsibility and wouldn't even help on
> a repalacement truck. To illustrate the condition of the truck, the
> insurance agent was amazed that there was not one rock chip, scratch or
> dent any where. I got an insurance check from allstate which enabled me
> to buy a brand new Dak (from another dealer) exactly like I had with a
> whole new warranty and the improvements the 93 didn't have with NO money
> out of my pocket.
>
> In any event, I still don't know what actually happened. But, there was
> no fuel leak before this replacement, the oil leak was only a day old and
> the truck was in excellent condition. If i ever need work on the engine
> again that i can't do, i will watch every second of it.

        That sucks! I thought I had it bad when the local dealer fubbed
my '91 Dakota up. I went in for a loose water pump pulley. They replaced
all of the radiator hoses I wanted, but said the water pump was fine. I
disagreed. I popped the hood, and resting my forearms on top of the
radiator
shroud, pulled on the fan blades. The fan moved in and out about 1/4",
PLUS
the shroud just fell off into the fan!! Apparently they took that off when
they
did the hoses, and didn't bolt it up!! (They apologized to me, got me a
rental,
and said they would replace the water pump). That was on a Friday, got a
call
from them on Monday, and they said keep the rental, apparently they
replaced
the water pump and it was defective-- it let go, drove the fan into the
radiator,
and chewed up the serp. belt. 3-4 days to get the new radiator. (I think
they
had the same bonehead work on my truck who didn't tighten the shroud.

Picked up my truck that Thursday morning, drove it 100+ miles that day,
then drove home at about midnight... Got a funny vibration...for about 10
minutes on the highway... Pulled off the highway, and the vibration was
with RPM, and not speed... Figured it was something the mechanic did.
Before I could stop a loud bang, metal-metal sound, then steam like no
tomorrow out of the passenger wheelwell. Turned of the ignition
immediately,
the dropped with no power steering, brakes, etc... GEE: How many
bolts in a 4 bolt fan pulley??? I had 1.5 bolts..., a chewed fan, chewed
radiator,
chewed serp belt, and both upper and lower radiator hoses were severed.

Had the truck towed to the dealer, and pushed it up against their service
bay gate (so they'd have to get me to move my truck before they could
open the gate). Service Center was closed Sat-Sun... So I had no car
that weekend. Monday I was mentioning the words attorney, lawsuit,
Better Business Bureau, etc... I got a nice Olds 88 LSS for a loaner,
complete detail of the entire truck, and a complete vehicle inspection
(as the 70k powertrain was about up)... Things worked out, but it was a
real bummer. Then when I went to get my new truck (my '95 SLT),
I was able to get the new truck that I wanted (at Fleet Prices-- which
BTW anyone can do), and then worked them to buy my '91... For
Blue book... Don't mention the fact that the SBEC was faulty, and
the rear end sounded like an army jeep!!

        Sam '95 SLT Dakota
http://www.users.cts.com/king/s/samp/