Re: RE: 98 Dakota's

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 10:07:42 EDT

> Bruce Aaron Hefner [SMTP:gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu] wrote:
>
> > [...] how much is gas in Canada, I know here in Atlanta price is
> > anywhere $.989 to $1.099 a gallon for regular unleaded.
>
> Gas here (Ottawa) costs .539-.609/L (~$2.50 CDN/gal. = $1.80 US/gal.).
> Regular, of course (what else would you put in a Dak?).
>
> Since you mentioned that gas where you live is nudging the dollar-per-
> gallon mark: according to some guy I know who was actually driving at
> the time, the metric system was rammed through when gas hit $1CDN/gal.
> (circa 1975), so that it could be priced per litre.
>
> Apparently, gas price signs were the very first thing (before road signs,
> liquor bottles, etc.) to change after the law was passed. Maybe your days
> of non-metricness are numbered. <grin>
>
> cheers,
> mike

I doubt it mike, since we used to just print everything in U.S. and metric
units to get around the whole problem of converting, but now their phasing
that out and now a lot of things are being labeled in U.S. units only, I
doubt we'll ever go exclusively metric in the U.S. because of the fact
their would be to much of a public outcry by people who think the system
is fine the way it is, personally I don't think it matters one way or the
other, I was taught both in school, and know all the conversion rates so
it doesn't really concern me.

Bruce