Re: tire size for 94 dakota?

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 11:07:01 EDT

> What I'm about to say assumes that the '94 and the '96 is the same...
> I've got the stock rims and I've got 235/70's on there now. No rubbing,
> and they fit fine. Back when I got them, there was some discussion about
> this on the list. (A year ago?) The concensus was that 235 was the widest
> you should go on the stock rim. You might run into trouble if you wanted
> a shorter sidewall too... 75 or 70 will allow the sidewall to bulge a bit,
> but if you start going to 60, 50, 40, it might be too stiff and increase the
> chance of popping off the rim.
>
> 235 is the widest I'm going on these rims. Which is a problem because
> I really like my chrome rims. I've actually considered getting them cut and
> having a spacer put in there to make 'em wider, but if I ever go that
> route, its many years down the road.
>
> Speaking of traction: I don't know much about traction on sand, but
> I think you're right, wider is better. (To "float" on the surface.) But,
> with snow, narrow is better. You want to sink through the snow and down
> to the underlying solid layer.
>
> -Jon-
>
> .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
> | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
> | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
> `-------------------------------------------------------------------------'
> I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are assuming there is a solid layer
beneath the snow, if there is 2 or 3 feet of snow on the ground (Which
does happen occasionally) and you try to sink the tire to the solid layer
beneath the snow (3 feet down) you're going to be sitting on your axles
aren't you, and it doesn't seem like you'd get any traction. I didn't
personally drive in it but when we had a blizzard (2-3 feet of snow)here
in GA 5 years ago I remember the vehicle that did the best was my brothers
truck with the big huge mud grips on it (31 or 32 - 10.50) that he had let
about 10 lbs of air out of so he could float above the snow, I remember
even hearing the news stations telling everyone don't leave your
house, but if you had to get out to deflate your tires to about 15-20 psi
and to be sure to remember to inflate them after snow was gone.

Bruce