Re: RE: Fuel

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 16:42:24 EDT

At 03:11 PM 10/23/97 -0400, you wrote:

>> Mercury Marine's 89 octane recommendation is a manufacturer's
>>recommendation, yes? When the manufacturer specifies an octane
>>rating, by all means use that as a minimum. My Volvo Penta stern
>>drive needs 93 octane, so that's what I run.
>>
>This is not always true. I saw a review of the new Infiniti SUV on Motor
>Trend TV. Infiniti designed the SUV to run on low grade fuel (either 87 or
>89 don't remember which). They specifically said not to use premium fuel.
>The point is that engines are designed to use a certain grade fuel. If the
>manual says use a minimum grade of 87 or 89, then it can be assumed that it
>is okay to use a higher grade. However, if the manual states a specific
>grade without denoting it as a minimum, then you can't assume it is a
>minimum recommendation.
>
>Andy
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Andy Callahan University of Kentucky quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net

Andy:

The point of the original memo re: Mercury Marine, was that they had
changed the fuel octane requirement (87 - regular) since it was
manufactured (1983) to 89 (mid-grade) by 1997 for the SAME 1983 outboard
motor. Running higher octane fuel is not recommended. Also needed to
replace all the fuel lines because the 'new improved' fuels corroded the
rubber used in the 1980's fuel lines, which then plugged filters, carbs etc.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.
Canada