Exhaust backpressure

From: tstricklan@shl.com
Date: Mon Oct 27 1997 - 09:42:07 EST

Howdy! Just wondering if there would be any adverse effects from removing the muffler and
 exiting the exhaust through a bent pipe forward of the passenger rear tire. The exhaust
 sensors and catalytic converter are still in place and the exhaust system currently
 terminates at the end of pipe aft of the converter. The sound is loud, but not too much
by any means (I personally LOVE it). I haven't totally romped on it on the bottom end
yet, but the truck does turn 150-200 or so less rpm @ 70 mph. If I don't hear any
 negative feedback, I'll have the exit pipe put in place today or tomorrow. Another
question: with "tuned" headers, I know that each pipe from the head to the collector is
 of the same length to insure equal back pressure for each cylinder - wouldn't running
 headers with a single, large diameter exhaust defeat the "equal back pressure for each
cylinder" goal unless the passenger side had some extra pipe snaking around prior to the
 "Y" that feeds into the converter? Wouldn't the driver's side bank of cylinders have a
 slightly higher backpressure because of the extra pipe length? I'm replacing the exhaust
 system at some point in the future, and wanted input on this.

Also, does K&N make the FIPK for the '97 models yet? Haven't seen any part numbers or
 heard anything about availability. Would a unit for older models work? Hood clearance
 issues? As for hood clearance, here's my final question for today: did all of the '97
 V8's come with no "mat" under the hood. Someone told me that they thought the ones they
 saw had them, but mine and other V8's that I looked at at the dealership didn't, while
 the V6's did. Just curious. Thanks!

'97 regular cab sport (read: nice power to weight ratio)
318,5 spd,tire&wheel pkg
3.21 rear - sails down the freeway - and the bottom end is fine for something I drive to
work in everyday

         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)