Re: Wider is Better (Was Tire Width in Snow)

From: Steve clarke (sclarke@cancom.net)
Date: Tue Oct 28 1997 - 09:46:31 EST

At 09:58 PM 10/24/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I've been looking for snow tires lately and everything I've heard says
narrower is better. At http://www.tirerack.com/snow/snowsize.htm The Tire
Rack says

> "Select a narrow winter tire for your vehicle. A wide, low profile or
large tire has to"plow" a wide path through snow which causes more
resistance. The narrower the tire, the easier you can get through snow."

>Also, look at http://www.tires.com/size.html where Discount Tire Direct says:
>
>"When it comes to snow tires, size does make a difference. Did you know
that having a snow tire that is narrower than your stock tire size will
actually perform better in the snow! It's true. When possible it is always a
good idea to have a slightly narrower snow tire for better traction. The
rule-of-thumb is a 10mm to 20mm difference. It's not much but is helps. ...
A narrower tire does not have as wide of a track though the snow and this
slight difference in section width allows the tire to go through the snow
more easily and makes traction more efficient. The key phrase is "track
through the snow" That's what you want your snow tire to do and as
effectively as possible. Now, using your stock tire size is not a bad thing.
You will still have outstanding traction over your all-season or high
performance type tires."

>HTH
> Brett
>
><<< 10/24 8:18p >>>
>Lots of "Tire width in snow messages lately". Snow's same as sand. When you
>drive on a beach you have to let the air out. You need the surface area for
>floatation and to keep from getting bogged down. Skinny tires in snow will
>just cut you down to a layer of water built up by friction. Or worse, a
>layer of ice on the road. Same works in reverse when stopping. Hit the
>breaks and a fat layer of snow in front of the tires will slow you down.
> That's why anti-lock doesn't work in snow. Wider is better!

I'm not worried about plowing the snow, I give plenty of speed, then I catch
some air when I hit a drift, what I'm worried about is once you are stoped
or trying to get going, I'm going after sand to put in the box soon and to
get going you need a widder patch on the snow, we always have ice under. I
just wish I had sure grip :-(

Steve Clarke
94 dakota