New member

From: Peter Davis (davisp@uwplatt.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 03 1997 - 16:44:28 EST

Hello,my name is Pete Davis and I am a recent Dakota purchaser. I
bought a '97 2WD V6 Ext. Cab SLT. Not a bad truck for my purposes.
HOWEVER....so far the computer has been replaced in my truck to correct
an idle surging problem. I also reported to the service manager that I
have had an ongoing pinging problem. Of course he gave me the "burn
higher octane fuel" speech. The owner's manual states that the truck
will run on 87 octane and I usually have tried to either burn good
quality 87 oct. or 89-90 oct. This isn't enough apparently. I am
currently burning 93 octane gas and of course the pinging has stopped,
but I am sick of paying $1.40/gallon for gas. Also, since the computer
was replaced I have noticed a drop in fuel economy from 18-20 (average)
to 15-17 (average)....has anyone ever heard of this or does anyone have
any advice. Thanks in advance...
Pete