Re: Maint Reqd

From: CNTRYSNGR (CNTRYSNGR@YadTel.Net)
Date: Thu Nov 06 1997 - 22:42:42 EST

Dan Myers wrote:

> Well its time for another question, who has hit that magical mileage
> mark on their truck that turns on the Maint Reqd light on the dash? I
> only get a 55 code reading so I don't think anything is wrong, I have
> 96383 miles now and puff on comes this bright red light. Any help
> Thanks
>
> Dan
Mine came on a few weeks ago. I believe it is "programmed" to come on
around 65,000 miles or so. I replaced my stock computer with the MP
computer around 20,000 or so, mine came on at 86,000. It's supposed to
signal emissions system (smog crap) repair and replacement (mainly the
EGR valve). The only way to cut it off is to take it by the Dodge place
and have them hook it up to the DRBII computer and have the light cut
off then. The only drawback is, they may need proof that the EGR has
been replaced or want to replace it for you for a small fee, of course!
I don't know how much it will cost you for them to hook up the computer,
but I'm sure since it's "technical work" they will jack up the price
rather nicely. All I did to mine, which is a WHOLE LOT cheaper, is:
take the dash face off, take the gauge pod loose and (hope you have
small hands) unscrew the light on the back of the pod and save the bulb
for something more useful, like more important gauge lights or side
marker lights. And you're right, code 55 signals the end of the sensor
test.