Re: Cap and roll bar question

From: Rob Robinson (u4d6r6mh@coastalnet.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 10:11:25 EST

>Is it possible to have a roll bar and a cap on the same Dakota?
>

>Dave

The question arises why you would what such a setup. I'm sure they make
some rollbars that are short enough or a cap that is tall enough to clear
each other, but what is the point.

Reminder that most bolt in "roll" bars are not designed to be a true
saftey bar. "Light" bar is probably a better name or "design bar". They
are mainly used for appearance and not for safety.

If you are looking for a safety bar, you may look into two options. One
is to have a real "roll bar" (as seen in race cars or drag cars) welded
inside the cab behind your seat. This should be done by a respected
company that is used to designing safety bars for assorted situations. Next
is to do the outside bar, but make sure you find one designed to bolt or
better weld to the frame outside of the truck. This may require cutting
into the floor of your bed to make sure it reaches the frame correctly.

I have had friends who bolt on these "light bars" thinking they have a new
safety feature, roll their truck (sand dunes are big around here), and have
a major safety issue when the bar bends and the truck top is not protected.

Hope I have shed some light in a very important safety issue.

Rob Robinson
Red 96 Sport V8 3.55
Shortbed, Standard Cab
Bright Package (fog lights, chrome bumpers)
14"aircleaner with 3" K&N
Rhino performance muffler w/dual exits
Factory stripe delete with Magnum Force stripe kit
225/70/15 Raised letter tires
Chrome rails