Re: Freaky

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 13:01:42 EST

> Weird thing happened today. Scared the *&%# out of me. I was pulling on to
> a road with a couple of freinds that had never seen me floor it in my Dak.
> They had heard stories(hehe..) and wanted to see how it took off. So I
> punched it and my engine was revving and sounding kinda funny, but i wasn't
> going anywhere. After a second or so (seemed like forever), i finally got a
> little scratch and off we went. So i was all worried and stuff thinking
> something was screwed up. Later we figured out that it had rained earlier
> and my back tires were in some water. I guess(and hope) I just got
> absolutely NO traction, I was just sitting on top of the water spinning.
> Freaked me out.
>
> Will

That happens to me quite often because I have a tendency to floor it every
time I take off. But I think you got lucky, the rearend didn't spin out
from under you, I had that happen a couple of times on wet roads, that's a
little scary but I've found all you have to do is let off the gas for a
second which lets you regain control then you can floor it with no problem
because by then your tires have gotten traction. The worst experience
I've had is when I was trying to pull out onto a highway from a side road,
finally saw a small opening, and behind this opening there were cars for a
mile, so I decided to go for it, I floored and as I was turning onto the
road the rearend went sideways, i was sitting there broadside in the road
a second or to before I let off gas and regained control, i thought i was
about to get broadsided, but luckily the cars behind me slowed down enough
to give me a chance to regain control, an experience I don't care to
repeat.

Bruce