Re: I got one!

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 20:51:39 EST

At 07:35 PM 11/14/97 -0500, you wrote:

schaller <schaller@swva.net>

>I've been reading the Dakota Mailing List for about a month, enjoying it
>alot. I've been looking around for a used Dakota, and finally got one
>today. It is an 1995 SLT, 4WD, Club Cab, V-8, automatic (which I am
>fine with,BTW), P235's. Driving it today, I really understand why you
>guys like the Dakota.
>I've got 3 (beginner) questions:
>1) Shifting the 4WD transfer case into 4L is really, really hard.
>(I've been reluctant to muscle it for fear of breaking something, like
>the lever.) Is this normal? How easily should it shift into 4L? How
>can I fix this problem? My Dakota shifts into 4H very easily. (I know
>about shifting into 4WD from a stop.)

This is normal with the V8. Make sure auto trans gear selector is in
Neutral. I find rolling forward slowly will help with the shift. Shift
the transfer case through neutral without stopping. It's just a tough to
get out of 4L.

>2) How can I tell if my Dakota has 4 wheel ABS, rather than the
>standard 2 wheel ABS? Is there some sort of place to look for this on
>the truck? Do you think there is a substantial braking difference 4
>wheel ABS vs. 2 wheel ABS?

I have two wheel ABS .... there should be an options list somewhere ...
glove box door?
If it is 2 wheel ABS you will be able to lock up the front tires with real
hard braking ... be careful.
It's probably a good idea to try out your abs (in a safe place) to get a
feel for it...I did, boy did it feel strange for the first while.

>3) Just out of curiousity, anyone on the list live near Roanoke, VA?
>Thank you, Greg Schaller, Roanoke, VA

not me :)

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com