Re: Under drive pulleys

From: T & J (starwolf@bewellnet.com)
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 21:16:18 EST

>From: Tim Roller <starwolf@bewellnet.com

> Under-drive pulleys do just what they advertise. the drawbacks are
that they SLOW down your alternator output,power steering and water pump
circulating abilities at idle speeds. Once the rpm's come up then most of
your accessories come back up their normal capabilities. However - if you
want or need the A/C, Lights, Heater or any other accessory you may not
have enough amperage from the alternator to keep the battery built-up.
That's why they're used mostly for racing purposes-but they do look great.
Now of course you could put in a dual battery system that may take up the
slack from the slower turning alternator and electric fans for cooling down
the radiator which would do away with about 10 lbs. of clutch and fan blade
and that in turn brings on more HP.

     '95 SLT+ 5.2