Re: 4 cylinder dak???

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 15 1997 - 09:56:19 EST

> I've seen quite a few at the Bangor, Me. dealer but haven't seen any on the
> road.
> Does anybody know if the Dakota is available with full-time 4WD as opposed
> to the current part-time? I used 4WD today in a snowstorm and it drove
> great; much better than my old ramcharger. It would be nice to have the
> full-time 4WD though. If I'm wrong on this someone please tell me: The
> current part-time 4WD is just for conditions where you need the traction,
> but not to be used constantly. And the full-time 4WD can be used all the
> time if you want(unlike the old full-time which was permanently in 4WD).
>
> John
> '98 cc sport 3.9 auto

Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't full-time 4WD just mean that the front
hubs are always locked, whereas on part-time 4WD you had to get out of
truck, lock the hubs, then put it into 4WD, wheras on the full-time (Like
the Dak) all you have to do is move the transfer case into the 4H or 4L
position. And on the new vehicles with auto 4WD like the Sensatrac aren't
really in 4WD all the time, but rather have sensors that detect when the
wheels start to spin and after a certain amount of spinning a computer
engages the front axle, I maybe wrong but this my understanding of the
different systems.
Bruce