Re: 97 club cab

From: tedescdb (tedescdb@MCI2000.com)
Date: Sat Nov 22 1997 - 09:54:40 EST

--Boundary_(ID_0KIp9gn1GZxmb8DpnUIXXg)

I have a 97 4X4 with the same problem. Did you get the sur-grip axles? I have
these and I know that they come with larger drums. (trying to eliminate
possibilities with the options). This thumping thing really drives me nuts. I
was thinking for a while that it might be the ABS for the rear brakes. My
dealer thinks that I am insane. I've yet to get over to the dealer and
demonstrate this problem, however I have had it in to them and they said that
they couldn't duplicate the problem.

Here is the details of my problem.
If you are on the highway, say at about 70, then you take an off-ramp. You
apply the brakes, not hard but not soft and the steering wheel (and truck body)
oscillate hard, a shutter if you will. At lower speeds it feels exactly like
warped rotors. I examined the rotors and drums for signs of heating and found
nothing. I also checked the roundness of the drums and they appear fine. Hell
the truck only has 9000 on it. Still the problem is annoying as hell.

If you have any luck with solving this PLEASE let me know. If I discover the
problem I will email you the fix. I have saved your message for this purpose.

Here's a little thing to try with your Dak. get going about 35 and slam on your
brakes. My (your) trucks anti-locks will work (your rear won't try to take the
lead) however, the truck will lunge forward before it stops and the drivetrain
clucks excessively (transfer case). Got this problem? This is why I feel the
above problem is related to the antilock brakes.

I worked for 5 years as a GM mechanic. I know that service bulletins are issued
to mechanics for "strange" problems like this. Does anyone know how to get
their hands on those bulletins. This may be very useful to us all. By the way
my primary expertise was electronic fuel injection and emissions. If anybody
has questions regarding these types of issues I may be of some assistance.

Dan
97 CC 4X4 5.2 Auto