Re 97 club cab

From: tedescdb (tedescdb@MCI2000.com)
Date: Sat Nov 22 1997 - 10:01:37 EST

I have a 97 4X4 with the same problem. Did you get the sur-grip
axles? I have these and I know that they come with larger drums.
(trying to eliminate possibilities with the options). This thumping
thing really drives me nuts. I was thinking for a while that it might
be the ABS for the rear brakes. My dealer thinks that I am insane.
I've yet to get over to the dealer and demonstrate this problem,
however I have had it in to them and they said that they couldn't
duplicate the problem.

Here is the details of my problem.
If you are on the highway, say at about 70, then you take an off-ramp.
You apply the brakes, not hard but not soft and the steering wheel
(and truck body) oscillate hard, a shutter if you will. At lower
speeds it feels exactly like warped rotors. I examined the rotors and
drums for signs of heating and found nothing. I also checked the
roundness of the drums and they appear fine. Hell the truck only has
9000 on it. Still the problem is annoying as hell.

If you have any luck with solving this PLEASE let me know. If I
discover the problem I will email you the fix. I have saved your
message for this purpose.

Here's a little thing to try with your Dak. get going about 35 and
slam on your brakes. My (your) trucks anti-locks will work (your rear
won't try to take the lead) however, the truck will lunge forward
before it stops and the drivetrain clucks excessively (transfer case).
Got this problem? This is why I feel the above problem is related to
the antilock brakes.

I worked for 5 years as a GM mechanic. I know that service bulletins
are issued to mechanics for "strange" problems like this. Does anyone
know how to get their hands on those bulletins. This may be very
useful to us all. By the way my primary expertise was electronic fuel
injection and emissions. If anybody has questions regarding these
types of issues I may be of some assistance.

Dan
97 CC 4X4 5.2 Auto