Re: Transmission ?'s

From: Rob Robinson (u4d6r6mh@coastalnet.com)
Date: Sat Nov 22 1997 - 10:53:15 EST

>Ok guys.. it's not a Dakota question but you may be able to give me some
>clues.
>
>My sweetie drives a 1997 Dodge Stratus. We're having some small
>transmission troubles that the dealer can't reproduce. Two things are
>happening... 1) It takes a while for the transmission to engage when
>shifting into drive. Not a really long time.. just longer then it should.
>2) Occasionally at highway speeds the tranny seems to shift down and right
>back up.. quickly. This happens on level terrain.
>
>These aren't tantrum-throwing problems but would like to have them fixed if
>they are indeed problems. Dealer says to wait until it gets worse. :-)
>

>Matthew Brandes
>
>============================
>'97 Dodge Dakota SLT+
>Black/Mist Gray Club-Cab, V8
>============================

Ok here it goes. My father has owned 4 caravans over that last 10 years
and everytime it's the same story. The tranny takes a while to engage,
and it also seems to "slip" on occasions. You didn't mention this but his
would also "clunk" to a stop at stopsigns sometimes. Really annoying and
somewhat discomforting noise. Well, he has constantly taken it back to the
dealer and they would add bulletin after bulletin of parts to help relieve
this problem. They even rebuilt the trans with factory "shift kit" to try
to tighten things up.
One time he was travelling down the highway, at around 25.000 miles, got
one of those "upshift-downshift" and the trans spilled it's guts. On a
sunday nodoubt 200miles from home.

Well they of course put a new tranny in, still with the same problems and
was told to live with it.

Enjoying the styling of the van, he decided to trade up to a new van every
3 years. It wasn't until the 98, that he has gotten one that doesn't do
this slip-as bad.

My recommendation is to check for bulletins to relieve the problems- there
are alot for these trannies out there. 2nd is to make sure you have the
extended warranty if you plan on keeping for a while and make sure to
DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!!

It is amazing the amount of money the dealership put in our vans to try to
fix the problems. Would you believe after my father sold the other vans,
they droppped the trans again for their new owners.

(note. It wasn't for maintence because all the fluids never stayed in the
car over 3000 miles. Not even the trans- because of all the work being
performed.)
Our family takes care of every vehicle they have owned and they have lasted
a long long time.)

Hope you have a more successful time then we did. Chrylser needs to do
something about their front wheel drive trannys. They don't seem to live
up to the life of the vehicle.

Sorry for the bummer story, it's just the truth. Love the Dakota!!!

Rob Robinson
Red 96 Sport V8 3.55
Shortbed, Standard Cab
Bright Package (fog lights, chrome bumpers)
14"aircleaner with 3" K&N
Rhino performance muffler w/dual exits
Factory stripe delete with Magnum Force stripe kit
225/70/15 Raised letter tires
Chrome rails