Fuel problem

From: E. Frank Ball III (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 12:43:39 EST

>turn the key to "on" and wait. The fuel pump will run and pressurize
>the system. After a few (3?) seconds I hear a metallic clunk from
>behind me as the fuel pump shuts off. Now the fuel system is fully
>pressurized and it starts right up. If I don't do this the engine just
>cranks until the fuel pressure builds up enough for the fuel injectors
>pressure this fast or not, I could have a bad valve.

I checked the factory service manual. Normal fuel pressure is 35-45
psi. The system is supposed to remain pressurized to at least 24 psi
after 5 minutes. No other spec. My system keeps enough pressure to
start right away for at least an hour. So I'm not going to make a
warranty claim, since it would be considered "normal". (my warranty
expires 1/2/98).

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD