'92 4x2 drop kit report

From: M. D. Nugent (nugentmd@gte.net)
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 20:04:56 EST

I just completed a 2" front and 3.5" rear drop on my '92 Dakota 4x2 V8
using Western Chassis spindles, adjustable leaf spring hangers (3", 3.5"

or 4" drop), and shackle mounts. Installation was straightforward
although air chiseling and grinding the 16 half-inch thick rivets to
remove the stock parts took several hours. Stock front and rear springs

(and shackles) were retained.

Results? About 1/2" rake from the front end of the side molding to the
rear end of that molding (with equal-sized tires all around) and less
than half the fender-opening-to-tire gap as before. If someone wanted
to use larger diameter rear tires they'd need to use the 4" drop setting

to maintain a near-level appearance (having the choice of rear drop is a

nice feature). Rear ride over speed bumps is a bit harsher than before,

but everything else is the same or better (e.g., much less body lean in
the corners). It's the kind of change a truck enthusiast would be sure
to notice and the state patrol probably wouldn't - the best of both
worlds!

Cost? $308 for spindles, hangers, and mounts, $139 for four gas shocks
(rears appropriately shorter than stock), and $39 for shipping.

Problems? All were resolvable:
1. The adjustable spring hangers are about 1/4" too wide for the
leaf spring bushings. We compensated by adding two 1/8" thick washers
on the tire side of each front leaf spring bushing - inside of the
spring hanger.
2. The shackle bolt hole in the shackle mounts was undersized (we
used a conical grinding stone to open the hole enough for installation).

BTW, this hole may be correct for '97-on Dakotas; someone thought they
had a smaller bolt diameter.

Throughout, the mail order company - Sport Truck Direct in Phoenix
(1.800.876.6226, no email address or website) - was first class. As
soon as I notified them, they apologized, contacted the supplier, and
got new parts shipped to me without cost (including return UPS for the
original parts). Unfortunately, there was no difference between the
first set of hangers/mounts and the replacement ones we'd already
modified and installed, so we left the originals on and shipped back the

replacements.

We set the alignment a bit more aggressive afterward, too:
- a full degree over spec of caster (to increase
return-to-straight-ahead after a corner, and to reduce the sensitivity
of the power steering - feels like a German assist now instead of
promoting overcorrection),
- a half-degree more negative camber than spec (I don't slow down much
for corners), and
- as close to zero toe as was possible.

This oughta hold me 'til Spring when I can get some wider wheels and big

tires (leaning toward 245/60s).

--
Mike
914 Lite webpage - http://home1.gte.net/NugentMD/914lite.htm