Re: : Re:Kick a mustang (was Dakota puchase questions)

From: Rob Robinson (u4d6r6mh@coastalnet.com)
Date: Fri Nov 28 1997 - 19:10:19 EST

>What are you talking about? What Mustangs have you "wamped"? You must
>have either raced a V6 'Stang or the other guy wasn't really racing you.
>Sure, the Dak is a fast truck, but it can't hang with a 5.0 or 4.6 liter
>Mustang.
>
>Andy
>>Where have you been hiding? Mopar Action did a article that a 93-94 Dakota
>>with 3.9 sure-grip and Mopar Computer kicked not only a slightly modified
>>Mustang LX 5.0 but also the new Firebird. This was done in the
>>quartermile, no further.
>>But, isn't that what matters?

Rob Robinson
>So you're telling me that a 93 or 94 Dakota (which?) with a 318 and 3.90
>gears with the only modification being the Mopar Performance SBEC can beat
>a slightly modified Mustang LX 5.0? I don't buy it at all. And what kind
>of firebird are you talking about? The 94-97 Firebirds with the LT1 engine
>could get to 60 in the mid 5 second range. Don't tell me that a stock
>Dakota with the MP SBEC can do that. I'm sorry, I think you have been
>misinformed. It would take a lot more modification than a MP SBEC to beat
>a Firebird or a Mustang unless you're racing the V6 versions. And I don't
>think your street races with stock Stangs are good proof. How do you know
>if the other guy was really racing or just playing with you?
>
>Andy "need more proof" Callahan
 Andy Callahan University of Kentucky quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net>

In "Mopar Action" June 1994 they prove my story.
The stock 1993-Automatic Dakota Sport Shortbed, Standard Cab ran 14.95 at
92 mph. The fastest without the computer was 14.79 at 93mph This is pretty
fast, but that's not what we are comparing. With just a computer swap, no
burnouts, and tailgate down. . .

First run was without a competitor but with the new computer- 14.37

Round 1- With a stock Dakota + Computer they were able to drive the Dakota
to a 14.39 run to the Mustang's 14.82. The Mustang had a fiberglass hood,
no cats, and a few bolt-on intake goodies, plus it was a manual car.

Round 2-Ran again hot and cut a 14.47 to the Mustang's 14.61.

Then they went up to the LT1 Firebird, which I agree would be a close race.

Round 1-However, the Dakota still won with a 14.40 at 93.91mph compared to
the Firebird's 14.73 at 96.77mph. They state if the track was 3/8 mile
longer, the Firebird would win, but for the 1/4 mile the Dakota won!

Round 2- 14.42 Dodge Dakota 14.45-Firebird LT1-275hp

Now I agree this isn't the new 310hp Firebird offered today that runs 14.0
flat, but the idea that the Dakota can run that close is very exciting and
encouraging for those stoplight battles. With a little practice, your
skill could put you to a big advantage to someone who doesn't know how to
drive.

I appreciate your doubt, but the timeslips prove it. Remember the early
Magnum's had a little more hp than the 95-96 models. (10 more at 230
compared to the 220hp of my model). The computer gave the car about 25
extra horses. That's a good boost for a stock truck.

Hope I cleared things up some, and I hope the 96-97 computer comes out
soon, so I can be a little more competitive against the LX 5.0 and the
f-bodies.

Just catch one off guard, and you have it made! :-)

Red 96 Dakota Sport V8 3.55 Burgundy 68 Barracuda Fastback
Shortbed, Standard Cab 318-904 8 3/4 rear3.23 sure-grip
K&N filterpack-clone Moser cut van axles w 11" drums
Rhino performance muffler Duals with Formula S exhaust tips
w/dual exhaust Power steering/Dealer installed
                                        airconditioning