Re: Towing Question

From: Robert Tufts (rbt@frontiernet.net)
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 14:25:30 EST

I'm getting a 98 with a tow package. I'm told it's wired for a 7 pin connector.
In the old days when I was a kid, dad had a hydraulic over elctric brake control that sent juice through
the connector to operate the trailer brakes. Does anyone know if this feature is pre wired, or am I going to
have to put in an under the dash brake control and wire that into an empty slot in the pre-wired 7 pin plug.
I know my sales woman won't know the answer.

Thanks,
Nick

There is an additional cable you insert under the dash if you are using trailer
brakes. That cable and the 7 pin plug that plugs into the socket by the hitch
come in a kit in the glovebox (with the instructions). The current '98 trucks
do not require you to add additional relays (like 97's). The owners manual implies
you still have to add them but the labelling on the power block (relays, some fuses)
shows that those relay locations are now "spares". Next printing of the owners manual
should correct this.

-Bob T. '98 CC 4X4 Sport Plus 5 speed 3.55 towing.

P.S. With 1300 miles so far the mileage has gone from 13.2 (first tank) to 16.8
(mostly highway over thanksgiving...this is with the V8 of course).