Re: V8 oil leak

From: Karl Kromer (karlk@ssl.berkeley.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 02 1997 - 11:55:53 EST

At 08:08 AM 12/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>My 1996 V8 Dakota has 25,000 miles on it and when I pulled it out of the
>>garage yesterday, I found 2 drops of (clean) oil on the garage floor.
>>
>I have had similar seepage for a while now.....In fact, I now have seepage
>at the transfer case/tranny seal.....Not dripping, just seepage...Enough to
>stain my garage floor, but not enough to leak in parking lots....
>

>ANyone else have this leak??

Worse. My 1996 V6 Dakota is leaking enough to form drops from somewhere in
the torque converter area (red tranny fluid), seeping from the front
transfer case output shaft, and seeping from the left front axle seal. It
has 21k miles on it. I purchased it new in Jan 1997, and it was
manufactured in March 1996. When I was in the Army, we used to have all
kind of leaks from trucks which were alowed to sit long periods unused,
even if they were brand new. They used to make us take every vehicle in our
motor pool for a short drive once a week to prevent leaks (I was a heli
mechanic at the time, so this was a bit of a chore). I think the seals dry
out when they aren't exposed to oil, or maybe they are dry for that first
drive after they sit. This could cause a lot of wear very fast
(unlubricated rubber seal). I suspect this is why my truck is leaking, and
you can be sure my dealer will get a visit from me at around 30k.

-Karl