CD Changer

From: Carlo Difelice (Carlo.Difelice@digital.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 1997 - 10:20:15 EST

Hello

         I have recently gone through this and here is what I have found. There =
is enough space under the seat to mount the changer however reloading =
the magazine requires a balancing act akin to a Ringling Bros act. The =
other problem with using that space is that it makes for a good location =
to mount an amp or two. Also passengers in the back may kick it while =
driving.
 Depending on the size of the factory changer and the seating =
arrangement of your new DAK you could locate it in the center console =
however some changers are sensitive to orientation. This only works if =
you have the deep center console as apposed to the middle seat\backrest =
arrangement.
I have read an install article about using the space under the rear =
jumper seat but that was from a custom installer who prefabricated the =
entire compartment out of fiberglass and only charged the guy a thousand =
dollars "what a deal". I am sure it could be done much cheaper but this =
compartment is: 1) out of your way 2) sensitive to the weight of =
passengers and parcels placed above 3) the only good place to store =
jumper cables. =20
The other option again depending on size is to use the glove box. The =
glove box is a good location to get at and still within the drivers =
reach. I recommend being quite careful with mounting it though there is =
an airbag at about face level so use caution. Use caution to not pinch =
or disconnect any wires above the glove box as they may be airbag =
related, I believe the yellow connector in particular. Another concern =
is to use short screws and not go upwards as again that is the airbag =
bay. The glove box door needs to be removed and the 4 screws which =
secure the parcel storage shelf need be removed. The parcel storage =
shelf can be put away for another day and the door can be put back in =
place. You can use a small ground strap to secure the door so it will =
not dump open. You may feel this leaves you with little storage but you =
still have the doors and center console storage. I have had a lot of =
success in this location with small modifications.
        All right I feel after giving you all these options I have earned the =
right to offer a good solution "aftermarket". The factory deck speakers =
and CD Changer depending on your location cost well over a thousand =
bucks. A good high power deck 35x4 and 6 disk CD Changer package costs =
about $500.00 and offers plenty of features. Kenwood and Pioneer both =
offer such packages as well most manufacturers do. The CD Changers are =
very small and will fit in the glove box with place to spare for maps =
and owners manual etc. The next concern are speakers and again without =
going crazy you can get 4 6" coaxials for $200.00 which will fit in the =
stock locations. If you want to add an amp a 4 way decent amp goes for =
$300.00 and will mount nicely under the seat, yes the spot where the =
changer would have gone. Having given all of $1100.00 bucks to an =
installer\reseller they will probably include installation with a smile. =

        Good luck=20

Carlo=20