Re: ABS trouble

From: rich_gambino@vnet.IBM.COM
Date: Wed Dec 03 1997 - 15:00:24 EST

>If you don't mind, I would really like to know how you checked the codes.
>I tried to do this by turning the key on-and-off etc but I got no results.
>
>David L. Makin Kanata, Ontario, Canada

I'm on digest (and a little behind) so my responses aren't too timely.

To check the ABS codes when stored (indicated by the brake and abs lamps
lighted all the time), this is what I did when I had the problem (taken
from my FSM): turn the key to run; momentarily ground pin 13 of data
link conn sticking out from under dash (if you look real close, the
pins are numbered); remove the ground and the abs lamp will flash a
long flash (indicates beginning) followed by the code. There are
codes that range from 1 - 15 for the abs system.

Mine indicated the code for potentially bad controller, but after not
being able to get at the thing I thought I would try pulling the fuse.
The fuse for the RWAL system is actually the one that also serves the
brake lights. The fuse looked good, so I put it back in and it must
have reset something because the warning lights went out and all has
worked normal since (that was about 3 months ago).

Rich
'96 V8 4X4 CC auto