Timing Chain (attn: Bruce Heffner)

From: Scott Lemser (ramman@mailexcite.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 1997 - 15:21:22 EST

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Bruce Aaron Hefner wrote:
               <Biggest of Snips>
On a separate note my old commuter car (An '85 Buick Regal) broke down Sunday.

Someone replied to you that you are dealing with a Timing "Belt". You have a timing
"Chain". I would assume you have one of four engines, The Buick 231v6, Olds 307v8,
GM Corp 305 (chevy) or the Pontiac 301 (rare in the regal). All involve removing
all the belts, the crank pulley, and the water pump / front cover assembly. the job
may also require the removal of some accesory drives. (altenator, power steering
ect.)
If the chain is broken, it will require reseting the crank to "top dead center" on
cyl # 1 and reindexing the cam. The chevy motor is the easiest to repair by design,
but this job does require a signifigant amount of ability to complete.
Looking at the cost, you probably have the 231 (3.8l) You may be able to get a better
price, but probably not by much.

Scott Lemser
ramman@mailexcite.com

http://www.mailexcite.com