Timing chain repair

From: am14@chrysler.com
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 08:44:37 EST

front of the engine - not considered in the engine. If it is a rear
wheel drive, you should just have to remove the fan shroud and fan,
brackets holding the A/C, P/S, air pump and water pump, then the cover
over the timing chain. This cover most likely has at least two bolts
coming up thru the oil pan at the very front. The cover is bolted to
the engine by approx 10/12 very small bolts around the outer edges
quite similar to the oil pan bolts. Getting the cam in time with the
crank is critical and must be correct or you will have to do it again.
Also you must drain the water/antifreeze before you start. Don't want
any of that in your oil pan which is exposed after you pull the timing
cover off. If you have good mechanical skills, you can do it -
otherwise take it to a garage with a trusted mechanic. Chain, gears,
and gaskets should run less than $50. Its a slow go because so many
things have to be removed, but I've been doing it on other brands for
40 years, and I've never had any formal training. Just had to do it
myself, cause I could never afford to have it done.

>>That's the thing though, it's the timing chain inside the engine that
broke, so it looks like a job that would require taking the engine
apart,
am I right guys?<<

Azie