Re: RE: Poor Gas Mileage

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 09:51:39 EST

Octane additives are used to slow the combustion rate, thereby reducing
propensity for pre-ignition (knock). This reduces the amount of energy
released by the combustion, ie. slightly reduced efficiency.

Usually this slight loss of combustion efficiency is intended to be
offset by increased compression ratio or boost as an engine is pushed
for more HP output.

--
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
   ------   __e       Jeff Lee, Principal Engineer (jlee@nsc.com)