Re: My hopes of a truck

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 05 1997 - 10:35:05 EST

> All insurance companies are snake pits of beaurocratic greed and
> corruption. I think the trick here is to try to find the "least horrible"
> agency.
>
> Personally, I don't see how a speeding ticket translates into such a high
> premium, just because it is a newer truck. Dakotas are not generally
> recognized as a high performance vehicle; which is usually good for us. :-)
> Didn't seem to work in your case though. Hmmm... I think the new facelift
> made the Dakota a little to conspicuous. :-)
>
> Before giving up, I'd try every insurance company in town. Then every
> insurance company out of town within a reasonable distance. Then every
> insurance company outside of a reasonable distance. :-) I hear ads on
> the radio all the time from insurance companies that claim to have wonderful
> rates. You might have some luck there. Most insurance places just look
> up numbers in the big binders that headquarters sends to them. I don't
> know if they have any sense of competition or capitalism in their blood,
> but it can't hurt to let them know that you're shopping around and the
> place with the best deal gets your business. You might want to ask them
> if there is any way of decreasing the premiums. (A passive alarm system,
> defensive driving courses, etc.)
>
> There are also some other things you may or may not be able to do. For
> example, I bought a 3000GT VR-4 when I was about 19. (Perfect driving
> record; no accidents, no tickets, defensive driving certificate.) The
> numbers the insurance companies gave me were nothing short of insulting.
> Solution: The car was put in my father's name. I made the payments, but
> he was the legal owner. His perfect driving record and late '40's age
> made for MUCH lower insurance payments.
>
> Your chances are probably pretty slim, but I wish you the best of luck!
> Don't give up without a fight. :-)
>
> I apologize if any list members are involved in the insurance business,
> and I have insulted you in some way. Anyway, you probably know better than
> anyone how corrupt the insurance companies are. (If yours isn't, and
> you "beg to differ", how about proving it by getting Wayne an honest deal?)
> :-)
>
> -Jon-

Go Jon, I like the sermon on insurance companies, and I must say I'm
inclined to agree, the insurance companies think they have to make a huge
profit off everyone, they stick it to all their paying customers to make
up for their losses when a customer is involved in a wreck with an
uninsured motorists (Speaking of which I think the rest of the states
should do like GA and make it illegal not to have insurance, I know
Tennessee needs to do it, I know of people who live in GA but have their
cars registered in Tenn. so they don't have to have insurance on their
cars). I also agree that Wayne should find another insurance company....

Bruce