Re: Re: Rear End Growl

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 10:27:57 EST

Sam Parthemer wrote:

> >Well, I've been having loads of fun taking my '95 back and forth between
> >work and two dealers in order to get a rear end growl fixed under 3/36
> >warranty.

> I drove too far on the OEM lube, roughly 65000 miles. I was driving one
> day
> at highway speeds, and noticed a faint growl/whine from the truck while
> under
> load/and decel under engine braking.

  Dammit, this sounds pretty much like mine.

  I understand that Schedule B calls for differential lube changes every
12K miles, but do not believe that these bearing failures are due to lube
problems.

> One of the races had 'spalling' on it, is what they told me.

  Makes sense to me. I've seen it only one time before; on a marine outdrive
that failed (lube contaminated with water). Bearings made all sorts
of growly noises.

> If you could, get a local diff. shop take a test drive with you

  That will be a last resort. I still fully plan on being a royal pain in the
ass if I have to, to get this fixed under warranty. There is no way in Hades
that bearings should fail at 28.5K, even if the lube were never changed (and
it has).

> Ended up costing me $450.00 parts & labor

  Ouch! And that didn't include having to reindex the rear end...

  I'm getting more and more pissed off at the service department, the more
I think about this.

  Thanks for the info, Sam. It helps a lot.

  Ron