Re: Insurance, was My hopes/Geico

From: Chris Ruggiers (ruggiers@okc.coa.state.ok.us)
Date: Fri Dec 05 1997 - 17:03:47 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Agnew <ragnew@islandnet.com>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Friday, December 05, 1997 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: DML: My hopes of a truck

> should do like GA and make it illegal not to have insurance, I know

Here in Oklahoma, must have minimum $10K liability, UM optional
>>> Alternatively, the fine for driving without insurance ought to be at
>>> least equal to any damages you (and your attorney, if any) recover
>>> from another party.

In Okla., can't get any vehicle tagged or inspected without proof of
insurance.

>A good chunk of that is due to insurance fraud, staged accidents and auto
theft. >Also, they no longer differentiate by age/sex (only by years of
claims free driving and >city) so I am also paying for the high rate of
accidents caused by young males ... no, >I'm not going to quote, or debate
the statistics.

As an attorney working for the state, IMHO it appears that increased
insurance costs are at least partly due to poor and fraudulent (in legal
parlance, "bad faith") claims handling practices. Working here at the Court
of Civil Appeals, I've seen many multi-million dollar verdicts against
insurers for trying to jack their insureds around on valid claims.

>And like it or not, if you guys drive the way, and at the speeds you boast
>about, you should consider yourself lucky to get insurance at any price.

Insurance premiums for our one van/one truck family with 50/100/50 liab
limit, $50K UM, comp and collision with $500 deduct and no tickets last
three years <$850/yr.

Chris (home: ruggiers@telepath.com office: ruggiers@okc.coa.state.ok.us)
(Waiting for Black QuadCab 360 ci, auto 3.55 posi on order 11.23.97)