Re: Leak

From: Ned Worcester (nworcest@crossnet.org)
Date: Sat Dec 06 1997 - 19:14:57 EST

-- [ From: Ned Worcester * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

I had a similar problem on my 95. I tore everything apart for the first
year. Eventually I noticed occasional drips from the trim surrounding the
windscreen, over the passengers knees. About then I went through 2
windshield because of rocks. As each of them were changed I climbed all
over the installers to make sure they were properly fitted, but it didnt
help.

Ultimately I closed up all the windows and turned on the vent full blast to
pressurize the cab and poured soapy water over parts to look for leaks. I
eventually found one where the roof skin seam at the sidewall, under a trim
piece. I did the lazy thing, rather than pulling the trim piece, or the
headliner, I maked off the panels with tape and filled the seam, along both
sided of the trim piece, with a thin silicone caulk. That way it flowed all
the way into the seam.

Have not had a problem since. I came to a couple of conclusions: The guy
on the line sealing the seam was lazy/sloppy. The water was coming in there
and running forward between the roof skin and the double skin section at the
edge of the roof. It ran forward until it got to a gap at the widnscrren.
Some of it went down the A pillar, some dripped out through the trim.

Last but not least, the dealer was no help. The mechanics said that was a
body shop problem. The body shop said it must be windshield, which is
service shop problem, and anyway the only body warranty is rust-through.
Unfortunately this really didnt crop up, and get narrowed down by me until
I was beyond the 36000 mile point.

Long explanation, but it was wierd enough that you might look there.

Ned Worcester
'95 SLT CC 4x4