Re: 4WD Question

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Dec 09 1997 - 15:57:59 EST

>The axle and drive shaft will turn all the time on "full time" 4x4
>systems. The Dakota system is unfortunately a downsized copy of the full
>size GM IFS system. The main drive on the front axle is the pass. side,
>extension to your front skid plate. trust me if you hit that vacuum
>cannister you will wish that you had.

The '93 (if not earlier) and later 4x4's do not use the vacuum-operated
lockup. The NP231 xfer case uses "harder bearings" (according to a 4x4
catalog I read) so it's more efficient and can be spun all the time. I
believe the older xfer case runs gear oil -- the later xfer cases contain
ATF. I would recommend changing the ATF relatively often, as the slip yoke
of the propeller shaft can introduce dust.

Jim
Dakota - The Right Caliber of Dodge Magnum Force