Re: I hate winter! (Any suggestions?)

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Dec 11 1997 - 12:15:07 EST

>Related to stopping in snow I tried out my 4WABS last night. Despite the reports
>that supposidly it can be better to have the front wheels lock and built up a
>berm of snow to slow you -I'll take the ABS!. Amazing straight stops. The sound >and feel are a little weird, but I can't argue with the results. Very impressed!

The snow berm business is only of importance in a very, very special set of
circumstances. The place I've encountered it is in the parking lot of ski
areas, where there is rarely complete snow removal. You have to have very
slippery ice underneath - essentially NO way to stop on that except studs
or chains. Then it snows a bit (enough that studded tires aren't effective
because the snow is keeping them off the icy road surface).

Believe me, this is no fun to drive on. I had a light little econobox at the
time, and I was fine because I went slow and stayed on top of the snow. I've
never seen so many vehicles in trouble -- sliding totally out of control
down very gently sloped parking areas -- as under those conditions.

Jim
'93 4x4 V8