Re: CD Changer, FBAM and FIPK?

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 14:48:16 EST

Joe.Dille@frco.com wrote:

> I am thinking of getting the Dodge CD changer. Does anyone have pros
> or cons? Where does it fit? I assume I can install it myself.

No experience with these. I got the in-dash CD.

> I surveyed 3 local dealers and they only had 2 Dakotas with 5-speeds.
> None with the 318". I am going to ask if I can get a ride in the V6
> 5-Speed 2WD before I place an order for a V8.

I found V8s hard to locate in general. Then try to get one with the
options you want, like a 5 speed, handling package, etc. - whew! It took
me a month of looking at everything in the region. Finally got lucky and
one came in that was pretty close to what I was looking for.

I did find a dealer in kind of a yuppy area with a bunch of V8/5spds.
Unfortunately these folks think they can sell at list price, which I was
unwilling to pay.

Hook up with a dealer and have em start searching the area's inventory
via computer. I went through one of the web buyings services - tried
both AutoVantage and AutoWeb. Both directed me to their participating
dealer in the area. Pricing through these services ranged from $100 to
$250 over manufacturer's invoice if you order a vehicle or buy one off
their lot. They can also locate vehicles in inventory at other dealers,
but can't offer the same pricing if you buy one of those.

Short of having a tough time locating what I wanted (I was pretty
particular), the buying experience was pretty painless. It was also nice
to be able to stroll into any dealer and know if they were offering a
competitive price (most don't).

Order time sucks right now due to the holidays (8-10weeks), so keep that
in mind.

Good luck.

--
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
   ------   __e       Jeff Lee, Principal Engineer   (Jeff.Lee@nsc.com)