Re: Picking nits on my new DAK.

From: Rupert Horn (rupert.horn@ucop.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 17:36:36 EST

At 10:43 AM 12/6/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Rhorn:
>My reaction to your whining about your 98 Dakota was the same ... only I
>didn't write it. Perhaps if you worded your original note differently.
-Perhaps so.
I guess it depends upon your, and my, definition of "whining". Which
apparently differ. I was only pointing out that after two weeks of
ownership There are some things I found/thought could have been done
differently. I am not the only one who felt these are items could have
been done better. See Brent Stoners reply of 04 Dec. Mayhaps that makes us
a minority. For me, it's not the first time and I doubt if it will be the
last.

I think you are overlooking the fact that most of the posting to a news
group are simply the opinions of the sender. And we are all know what they
say about those.

>Dakota owner are very proud of their trucks, and if your 'nit-picking' is
>all you can find wrong with the truck...why did you post it?
No reason why they should not be. There is nothing wrong with pride of
ownership. But that should not blind one to the fact that ofttimes there
are different, and dare I say better, ways of doing things.
I, for example, own two (2) Harley-Davidson motorcycles. I doubt I will
own, or ride, anything else. (Well maybe another Moto Guzzi)
But that doesn't deter me from recognizing that they do have their
shortcomings. Nor do I have an immediate "knee jerk" reaction to someone's
opinion regarding them. Note the recent Chrysler/motorcycles discussion.
For example Paul Schelling's comment:
"My truck, compared to its competition, is not overpriced, underpowered,
ill-handling, impractical and uncomfortable."
I happen to disagree w/him but he does have the right to an opinion and the
right to express it. And I'm not going to waste his, and my, time trying
and convince him otherwise. Of course he's wrong on all counts but, hey,
that's MY opinion. 8-)

>I happen to like the large knob for the mirrors, you can operate it with
gloves on
-Given that for you that's a plus. A situation I had not considered as I
would never drive w/gloves so bulky they interfered w/operation of the
controls.
For me, and again this is only my opinion, I would consider this a safety
hazard. Sure it utilitarian, it works. But I find it, esthetically,
unpleasing. In other words, it's ugly. It stands out like a sore thumb.
I can only assume you live someplace where it get's damned cold. Not so
here in the Police State of California.

>...after all it is a truck, designed to work, not a sports car.
-You bring up an interesting point. With the recent "whining" about gas
mileage
I had to wonder if these folks somehow failed to realize they bought a
truck. A vehicle, generally, not known for its great gas mileage,
especially if it's a 4x4. As I mentioned when I subscribed on to the list,
I got the "DAK" because my S-15 4x4 recently went tits up w/less than 100k
on the odometer. A truck more fit my needs so I traded in my Camaro. So I
am well familiar with both trucks & sports cars. Having owned several of
each in my, short, 47 years.

Excuse me now I have to make an appointment to take my truck in.
The trim on the center console is coming off & the drivers side panel
rattles when the stereo's on... 8-)