RE: Interior quirks

From: John C. Worden (sciroco@mint.net)
Date: Mon Dec 15 1997 - 23:05:10 EST

At 08:31 PM 12/15/97 -0500, you wrote:

> Look at that really close, I believe it's for the Durango, as
>no Dakota I know of has "Part-Time" drive, its full-time or two wheel
>drive. My 97 has no other indicator other than a lighted "dot" next to
>the 4X4 sticker, just to the right of the stick shift. I also have a
>unused idiot light "rear gate ajar", which also points to the Durango.
>

> Steve
>>>>>>>>>

>Sorry Steve, you got it backwards. The Dak is part time (meaning you have
the option to select
>4WD or 2WD). The Durango's got the full time 4WD (you can't select 2WD).
And yes, my
>idicator reads "Part time 4WD" on my '98.
>
>-Bob T.

My '98 dak also has the part-time light on the instrument cluster. But
you've got the part time/full time wrong. That's the way it used to be,
but now part time and full time both have 2h 4h and 4l, but the part time
is for use on loose surfaces to allow for slippage of the inner front wheel
in a turn. The full time has a different transfer case(I assume to allow
slippage) that so that you can drive in four wheel drive any time or all
the time. Your owner's manual should say something about not using 4h or 4l
on dry pavement; it can damge your drivetrain.
I hope that full time is available soon on the dakotas.

John '98 cc sport 4x4, 3.9 auto, intense blue