Re: Top Speed

From: Cosmicfrog (Cosmicfrog@aol.com)
Date: Tue Dec 16 1997 - 20:54:24 EST

<< On mine I've hit 4500 RPM in 5th... If you ratio that 2800 rpm = 80 mph
 (indicated),
 you can take 4500x80=360000... Then divide that by 2800.... You get
 128.57 >>

   Don't forget to factor in the drag coefficient. There is some slippage in
an automatic transmission. I seen guys figuring speeds from engine speeds
using ratios designed for manual transmissions and getting really fantastic
speeds until they try to go that fast. The Superbirds and Daytonas of 1970 and
69 respectively used aerodynamics to get around the drag factor. One datum I
remember from the early 70's was it cost 18 h.p. to go each extra mile per
hour over 150. The tail wings only needed to be 6 inches high but since NASCAR
required all cars to be homologated, the high wing was added so you could open
the trunk.