Re: Re: Update: Rear End Growl

From: N2mopars (N2mopars@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 19:57:53 EST

<< I've come to the conclusion that dealer service departments are
strategically
 dedicated to avoiding as much warranty work as possible. If you go away,
 thereby allowing them to duck a warranty repair, they can fill the time with
 customers who pay a lot more than the factory. My noise was 100%
reproducible,
 every time. Why did I have to go back 4 times until I got the right person
 to agree there was a fixable problem? I'll bet the diagnosis would have been
 correct the first time, had my truck been out of warranty. I'll also bet
they
 were hoping I'd go away, just like I did with the more-local dealer (not the
 one I purchased the Dakota from).

   In my case, I spent the time to debug the problem. The first guy didn't
 care at all; I watched his eyes glass over as I described my procedure and
 diagnosis (two visits with this guy, who immediately stamped "NO PROBLEM"
 on my ticket as soon as I left). The second guy appeared to be an actual
 mechanic, who actually listened to me. I presume that's why my bearings
 are getting replaced. Either that or they knew I was a pain in the ass who
 wasn't going away (my next call would have been straight to the Chrysler
 regional customer service office, if they blew me off again).

   My advice is be polite but insistent. It's going to be a pain to get any
 warranty work done, so just do your best but get it taken care of.

   And if the rear end still growls, I'm getting that 800 number out of the
 owner's manual...

   Ron

Working at a dealer as a flat rate technician (not a Dodge dealer), I can
attest to hopeing the customer goes away. Technicians DO NOT get paid much
for warranty work, and if there is any problem in paper work, the company will
not pay for the parts. So the dealer ends up eating the cost of parts and
labor, meanwhile the customer gets their car fixed. Ron is right, be
persistent, if you know how to make your complaint apparent, ask to have a
tech go on a drive with you. And be very nice to the service advisor. Some
customers get reputations, and never get what they want. You didnt hear this
from me!!!

Brad