Noises

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Fri Dec 19 1997 - 16:08:46 EST

Haven't owned a truck (or any rear wheel drive vehicle for that matter)
in a while, so I'm trying to get used to the new noises. Thought I'd
post a couple of questions to make sure things sound ok.

Manual trans. I have noticed a bit of gear whine in 1st, 2nd, and 5th.
1st is most noticable and I would expect it from a truck trans. The
whine in 2nd and 5th is not very loud, but noticable. I do have the 5.2
V8 with the NVG-3500 trans and a 3.55 axle.

Drive train clank. I have noticed a light clanking sound at low speed
when the load changes on the drive train, for example when I down shift
into 2nd and then accelerate. On my old truck (72 chevy), this was
usually attributed to worn U joints in the drive shaft. I wouldn't
expect any worn components on my new Dak (< 300 miles).

Just wanted to check to see if these noises seem normal and consistant
with other new Dak owner experiences. Thanks.

jeff
98 RC SB V8 5spd 3.55LSD