Re: erratic idle speed

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Mon Dec 22 1997 - 10:20:54 EST

JT McBride wrote:

> I wonder if a more expensive O2 sensor would give valid readings even in
> the cool, slow-moving gases at idle... Probably need multiple, more-sensitive
> sensors higher up the exhaust tract, like on each down-pipe, as the 1996
> and later model Magnums.

  I was under the impression that the '96+ Magnums had one O2 sensor in the
same location as the '95-, and another one post-cat, for OBD-II compliance.
I can easily check this when the two guys who own '96 Dakotas come back to
work after the holidays. ;)

  As far as expense is concerned, I know my '95 has the 3-wire sensor with
the pre-heater, probably because it is relatively far away from the hot
exhaust ports. That part is a lot more expensive than the 1-wire sensor
for my wife's Nissan. I wasn't aware that there were higher-quality sensors
on the market.

  Would be fun to mess with this, if the truck weren't relatively new and
a daily driver.

  Ron