K&N FIPK Clone/PCV Routing/bedliner

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 11:06:17 EST

Michael D Gemelke wrote:

> K&N Air Filter "Injector" Kit (what are the "clones" & who makes them,

  The K&N FIPK will cost you ~US$110, but come with everything you need
for drop-in stock aircan replacement, plus a CARB exemption certification
so that you don't get any hassles during emissions inspections.

  You make the "clones" yourself, if you're a tightwad like me. Basically
you buy a bare K&N element, random air cleaner, and kludge up a bolt and
PCV routing yourself. Since this is not CARB-exempted, you have to replace
it with the stock can if the Smog Man gives you trouble. Advantage is cost;
this will run you ~US$70.

> by the way, what do you do with the Crankcase Inlet Air Filter with one of
> these installed?

  The K&N FIPK comes with all the fittings you need to immediately hook up
the PCV system. Otherwise you get to poke a hole in your aftermarket can,
like I did. Or, there's this separate little PCV fitting that K&N sells
which is sandwiched on the surface of your K&N element and allows you to
connect your PCV hose, which I would have gotten had I gotten my mitts on
the K&N catalog before filing a big oval hole in my aircan first. K&N calls
it a "Marine Style Vent Hose Adapter," part #s available by request.

> Any performance/reliability impacts with taking warm
> engine-compartment air into the engine/crank?)

  Reliability won't be any worse than with any other K&N product, but I
can't comment on performance since I don't have my E-1650 K&N element yet.
You have to ask yourself whether a big gulp of hot air is better than a
small sip of cold air. I think the kludged up 'ram air' setups are probably
the best bet, but these would take extra work. Maybe sawing a hole in the
cowl vent area would provide enough high-pressure cold air to the air
cleaner area to offset the heat.

> Which bed liners have the best fit for a '95 XCAB shortbed? (I still need
> the 2X6 dents to hold plywood, and would like to still be able to use the
> stake pockets as well).

  I've got the Dodge drop-in liner, which has cutouts for 2x4 supports.
They work well.

  Ron