Door speakers in '95 xcab

From: Michael D Gemelke (Michael.D.Gemelke@wdc.com)
Date: Mon Jan 05 1998 - 11:33:33 EST

I installed my new stereo this weekend and wanted to share the experience
with everyone. This applies to '95 XCABs and others with similar interior
styles.

I bought all the materials from Audio King and Crutchfield - a pioneer
head unit, pioneer 5x7's for the rear of the cab and kenwood 5 1/4's for
the door - these are the only ones that crutchfield had listed to fit the
door.

As it turns out, the stock door openings are over 5" diameter, and the 5
1/4" will mount, but a 3/16" air gap remains around the circumference of
the driver (that's no good). So I returned the speakers, and ordered a
set of low-profile Pioneer 6 1/2"S speakers. They're 1 13/16" deep, so
I'll have to fur the mounting hole out ~ 3/8" to make sure the magnet
doesn't rattle against the window mechanism. I plan to replace the
plastic insert on the doors with a hardboard piece that I have cut to fit.
 This will help seal up the door cavity around the speaker (the plastic
piece does not) as well as shim out the driver. I don't think I'll have
to do any sheet metal work - crutchfield says the driver only needs a 5"
hole.

Has anyone mounted a 6 1/2"S speaker in this location before? How'd it
go? Any tips?

The point is: Beware, the door speakers are NOT 5 1/4", they are more
like 6 1/2". As always beware of mounting depth restrictions 1 13/16" by
my measurements with the plastic insert installed.

(the pioneer stuff fit great - no worries about the rear speakers). Now I
just have to drive around with the door trim off for three days until
crutchfield gets me the new door speakers (yeah, I'm lazy).

I hope this helps anyone upgrading their sound system. (I now have a
CC/Infinity system for sale- contact me if interested).

-Mike