Fender Flares (was tire clearance)

From: Walter Felix (Walter_Felix@classic.msn.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 09:04:38 EST

Actually, BushWacker does make a set of flares to fit 87-96 Dakotas. They
only have the Extend-a fenders for the Dakota which will increase coverage
about 1-1/2" more than the stock trim. I have photos of mine on my web page.
Bushwacker does not make cut out flares for the Dakota.
I had seen one guy who cut the fenders and installed the flares from a full
size RAM on a Dakota. The rears look rather good. He used some black silicon
to fill in a slight gap in the body line against the flare. I was very
impressed with the way the rears came out. Almost went the same route however
the fronts were hacked. The wheel well opening is about 6" wider on a RAM
than on a Dakota. The rear edge of the flare was right on the front edge of
the doors and the front edge of the flare covered half of the parking lamp and
extended to the front edge of the bumper. There was large gaps on the inside
of the flares which are hollow. He tried to fill it in with caulking but it
was too large of a hole to fill. It didn't look right. When he cut the
fenders to increase to opening, again the rears looked OK. He did have to
remove part of the inner fenders. On the rear he used a piece of Tar paper to
cover the openings. Kind of cheesy looking and was already ripped on one side
when I saw it. Said he was going to replace it with a piece of rubber later.
That probably worked out OK. On the front, cutting out the inner fenders made
it look even worse. The tires are kicking crap directly at the floor boards.
If he didn't have any moisture problems already, I'm sure he will. Taking out
the back side of the wheel well just looked like crap. That's what changed my
mind about doing it. Other than that, the truck was top notch and he still
took first place over my second at that show. There is a picture of his truck
on my web page. It's an older photo of his truck from the previous year's
show. He still had the Rubber extend a fender on that you buy by the roll.
It's blue and silver and has the caption Mopar Atlantic Nationals. I also
just came across a photo with the new flares on it. I still have to scan it
in and add it to my page.

Walter_Felix@MSN.COM
Truck: 88 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4.
Color: Flash Red
Motor: 3.9 V6
Tranny: A-500 Auto with NP231 Transfer Case
Factory Accessories: AC, Cruise, Tilt, PW, PD, Rear Slider, Light Bar, Fog
Lamps & Covers
Aftermarket Accessories: Lund Interceptor, Lund Moon Visor, Sony
AM/FM/Cassette w/10 Disk Changer, ventguards, custom bed mat, black Dee-Zee
tailgate protector, Lund head-lamp blackouts, 4 Dick Cepek lamps with custom
covers, cowl style hood scoop, 3" TrailMaster body lift, 31x10.50x15 Dunlop
Radial Mud Rovers on 15x10 AR Type 26 rims, X-Tang railed tonneau cover (cut
and fitted to bed bar), Lund TailMate, Rancho RS-5000 Shocks, FlowMaster 3"
in/2 2-1/2" outlets, BushWacker fender flares, Taylor 8mm wires (Red), "FABM",
"DDBC".
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9219