zeeskrwubart

From: William Hatch (wkhesq@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Jan 10 1998 - 10:38:06 EST

David asks about my reply about whell rim torque and my PS about
undercoat (do not do it): "Why is that ... Are you having trouble with
corrosion?"

yes, I had my truck taken on a flatbed from the dealer to the big
national undercoat company and I took it back every two years for a
touch up. Granted that my truck is over ten years old, but now the stuff
has a lot of bubbles and when you break them open, water drips out.
Thus, I conclude that the undercoating is now trapping the water.

Now. grant you that in this area of Central New York, rock salt is ultra
cheap because they mine it all over the place around here. It is a lot
more corrosive than table salt, so all vehicles that drive on
publicroads get a nasty dose of the stuff - even in the spring. It turns
to dust, the road is almost white, and it pelts the underside of the
vehicle. Well, now it is all trapped in every nook and cranny and it is
causing my frame, brake lines, fuel vent lines, fuel lines, and you name
it to rot.

I have a new Windstar and I have no undercoat on it and I just take the
wand at the car wash and wash the underside as best I can. Then, I also
drive a real old clunk on the really bad days and when it rots apart,
I'll buy another clunk for $100.00. The Dak goes to the commercial wash
and gets the underside blasted. This spring, I will power spray the
underside of the Windstar and the Dak with kerosene and cheap oil then
find a dusty road; best undercoat in the world.

New rule I hearing: No chains on 4x4's unless the transfer case has
gears in it and no big drive chain. Apparently the big chain inside the
modern transfercases stretches or is stressed by the activity ofthe
chains back up thru the driveline.

WKH - '87 4x4, all power with 6=8 headers and Myers 6m PA plow. An old
scratched, buggered dog, but still very very Dodge truck tough.