Re: I'm Lucky!

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 12 1998 - 07:27:09 EST

> I still had the sense to move my truck from where I always park
> >which is next to a large tree. Lucky me, friday morning I came out and the
> >tree was down, right where I park. It was big enough to have totaled the
> >truck. Oh, and BTW I don't drink and drive; the bar is two houses away- I
> >walk.
> >
> >John '98 Dak cc Sport 4x4
> >

> Oh man, been there/done that. Last year the Houston area had a pretty big
> ice storm. Maybe not what you northerners get but for us is was severe.
> Anyway being from hot south texas I didn't realize what ice could do to a
> tree. I know what hurricanes will do to them, but never knew ice could
> tear 'em down just as quick. Anyway I was parked under a big oak tree and
> I decided to move my truck because a power line was getting stretched
> nearby and i thought it might could break and melt my truck. Well, about 2
> hours later half of the oak tree was on the ground in the EXACT spot I had
> just moved my truck from. It would have been totalled no question. Gave
> me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach thinking how close it came to
> being crushed. Now when I park I check to see what's above me; trees,
> powerlines, flagpoles..... ;~)
> Michael Clark mike@snakebite.com
> '93 MarkIII 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto, DDBC, MP SBEC
> K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat-back dual, WaterWetter
> Doug Thorley Headers, Moroso Blue Max wires
> http://userv.wt.net/~mclark/dakota.html
> http://userv.wt.net/~mclark/webring/ring.html

I must say I had a similar incident in '93 when we had blizzard here in
the South (Between 2 and 3 ft of snow) my mom's truck was parked right
next to the tree line, I noticed how the trees were swaying in the wind so
I moved it right next to the house during the night a 100' oak tree blew
down right where the truck was parked, it was so big in fact that the top
of the tree still brushed the camper on the back of the truck, luckily it
did no damage other than a few scratches....

Bruce