What makes after market exhaust better?

From: E. Frank Ball III (frankb@sr.hp.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 14:15:39 EST

} I have been considering a Gibson single or dual cat back system for my
} 98 V8 Dak. Yep, more exhaust questions. I've seen some of this
}
} Opinions on the dual vs single cat backs? Is there much noticable
} difference between the two - ie. response, hp, torque, etc.?

Gibson recommends the single for best performance. I think the duals
will sound louder, but some people prefer the look and sound of duals.
The left side pipe will end up very close to the spare tire.

} I remember seeing somebody say they got a slight reduction in torque
} after adding a cat back system. Anybody experienced this on a V8? I'm
} still confused as to why reducing backpressure would reduce torque
} and/or increase hp.

At low rpm there could be a torque reduction from reduced back pressure.
This can occur because the cam is optimized for higher rpm and the
intake just blows on out the exhaust because the valves are open too
long at low rpm. Everybody says if you get the headers this won't be an
issue.

} What makes the aftermarket setups better than stock? The stock system on
} my Dak seems relatively unencumbered - the bends are pretty gentle. Do
} the crimp style bends add that much restriction. The stock muffler is a
} very small cylindrical unit. Much smaller than many of the after market
} "high-flow" units I've seen. Does it contain really restrictive
} baffling?

The stock pipe is 2.5" diameter. The aftermarket pipes are 3". The
aftermarket mufflers also have less baffling.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD