4sp. auto & lockup torque convertor?

From: Mike (ax778@lafn.org)
Date: Sat Jan 17 1998 - 02:11:05 EST

I have a '98 5.2L auto, and as far as I know,
it is a 4 speed (counted them) but no lock-up
torque convertor. I had an Olds that had a
3 spd auto, with a lock-up convertor, and while
at times it acted like a 4th gear, the RPM's were
exactly tied to speed, where in my DAK, in 4th coasting,
I see lower RPM's than if I add just a shade of a touch
of gas. Enough gas to take up the slack in the drivetrain,
and I gain 300-450 RPM, which means no lock-up. Also,
a light tap on the brake does not disengage anything,
again, a symptom of a plain torque convertor. Service
Manual says nothing about lock-up either. Anyone prove
me wrong, and I have to go back to the dealer to get mine fixed.
Maybe that's where my gas mileage is.
  Mike

--
 "What a waste it is to lose one's mind.  Or not to have a mind
is being very wasteful. How true that is."- Vice Pres. D. Quayle